Sunday, May 13, 2007

Banana Bread, Mediterranean Couscous, and more salad

Saturday morning I made Banana Bread - I love to make something sweet on the weekends and snack on it all week long. This basic recipe was altered by using half whole wheat flour (instead of all white flour), and by reducing the amount of total butter by using some applesauce.


Mediterranean Couscous*****, I love this stuff! The Israeli couscous (cooked in chicken broth and lemon juice) has a little bit of a creamy texture, mixed with the crunch of the nuts (I used cashews), and the sweetness of dried fruit and fresh herbs! So good!


Lastly, I had several items left in the fridge from the market box. I roasted the broccoli (drizzled with EVOO and s&p - baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes) along side the roasted beets.

ROASTED BEETS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets on a piece of parchment paper-lined aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold foil and parchment up to enclose beets. Place on a small baking sheet and bake until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle. I recommend at this point putting on a rubber glove – cut off top and bottom of beets and you can easily peel off the skin; roughly chop them into bite sized pieces.

Fill a large salad bowl with spinach leaves and top with roasted beets, broccoli, and feta cheese. Drizzle the salad with vinaigrette (I used rice vinegar and EVOO).

I forgot to take a photo until I was already about half way through :0)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Since I got spinach in my basket this week I think I'll need to roast some of my beets to eat just like you did!

And did you alter Mom's banana bread recipe to be healthier or was it a different recipe all together?

Jessica said...

It was mom's banana bread recipe that I altered - I meant to alter another recipe that didn't use butter at all but I forgot about it until I had already gotten to far. This is the recipe I was meaning to alter by just using bananas instead of apples: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33641,00.html?rsrc=search