Sunday, May 20, 2007

Delicious Weekend

Andy and I had a great weekend – it was calm and peaceful at times, and loud and crazy with friends at times…what more could one ask for?

Saturday morning

Cherry Almond Chocolate Clusters *****– second time I have made these…so they must be good for me to go back to a recipe. Here’s a photo of their chocolaty goodness.


We used a Christmas gift certificate on saturday for lunch at Applebee's. That night we went to our friend Amanda's college friends house for burgers and a round of cornhole.


Sunday

I pretty much hung out at the house today so a lot of cooking got accomplished. I made a great supper and dessert. We both really enjoyed all of these dishes. In the morning I made the Cranberry Apple Chutney and Wild Rice Salad.

Wild Rice Salad***** - The rice salad called for canned peas, not a fan of canned veggies much – so I used frozen edamame instead. The last 5 minutes of cooking the rice I stirred in the edamame and let it heat through.

Cranberry Apple Chutney:

1 apple, any kind you like, cored and chopped

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

Nutmeg, freshly grated

1 bag whole cranberries

1/4 cup raisins

In a small saucepan, cook the apples, cider vinegar, brown sugar and nutmeg until the apples are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Once the mixture has reduced and is thickened, add in the cranberry sauce and raisins. Chill in the fridge to set.

Panko Crusted Tilapia Filet

The panko was light and crunchy; I really liked it compared to regular bread crumbs. I thawed frozen tilapia filets, made one pan with a beaten egg, salt, and pepper. In a separate pan I spread out 1 cup panko crumbs and 1 Tbsp Creole seasoning. I then dipped the filet in the egg mixture and then dredged in the bread crumbs. I then placed each filet in a preheated med/high skillet with EVOO in it. Let cook 4-5 minutes on the first side and then 3-4 minutes on the second time, or until no longer translucent. I squeezed a little lime over the filets and served.

Orange Apricot Amaretto Sour - my own concoction...it's a keeper!

1 1/2 oz apricot nectar
2 oz orange juice
Juice of one lime
1 oz amaretto
Ice

Pour all in a double old fashioned glass, stir, and enjoy!


Lastly...a sweet ending to a wonderful weekend...

Strawberry Strata



4 comments:

Sara said...

That strata sure looks good! I need to try those chocolate clusters some time too. That's an Ellie Krieger recipe, right? I think I remember her making those for her Valentine's Day episode.

Jessica said...

Yes, EK recipe - click on the recipe title and it will link you to the cluster recipe (and the strata recipe).

Amy said...

for whatever reason I couldn't comment on the muesli post, so this is about muesli, but the strata does look delicious.

Do you think it matters if I use quick-cooking oats? I guess it's not that much; I can sacrifice 4-5 T of oats for experimental purposes. :)

Jessica said...

Amy, I think quick-cooking oats would be fine. They may abosrb a little more liquid, but that's all in each persons preference anyway. Give it a shot - it can't be bad, and add a little more liquid if in the morning it looks dry.