Sunday, March 30, 2008

Childhood Cheesecake*****

This has been my favorite dessert since I was a little girl. My mom would make this for me and I would eat a piece for breakfast, after-school snack, and dessert every night until it was gone. My grandfather was also a huge fan of mom's cheesecake, most of the time if she made our family one she would make him one too, but on the rare occasion that she didn't...I would wait until I had eaten it all and tell him all about what he just missed :o)

To this day, it's still one of my very favorite desserts. This is the simplest, best tasting little cheesecake there is; I doubt I'll ever find a better one.

foodblog 024

¼ c. butter, melted
1 ¼ c. graham cracker crumbs, 16 squares
2 Tbsp sugar

2 pkgs (8 oz each) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
¾ c. sugar
1 Tbsp grated orange or lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla

1 c reduced fat sour cream
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Place melted butter in 9-in pie plate, microwave until melted. Stir in crumbs and sugar with a fork. Press mixture firmly and evenly in bottom and up the side of the pan. Microwave 1 minute longer.

Place cream cheese, eggs, sugar, zest, and vanilla in medium bowl. Beat on high until smooth, about 2 minutes. Microwave uncovered, stirring every 2 minutes for a total of 8 minutes. During the last 2 minutes, 1 minute at a time. Pour into crust,

Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla; spread carefully over filling. Refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.

TIPS:

  • If you use a metal spring-form pan: pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, press graham cracker mixture into pan, and then bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
  • My microwave seems to be quite powerful, I only needed to bake my custard filling for 7 minutes for it to become fully thickened.
  • I recommended refrigerating the cheesecake for 6-8 hours or overnight, 2 hours is the minimum.

foodblog 015foodblog 019

I'm a purest when it comes to cheesecake, my preference is to serve mine up plain, as is!

No comments: