Sunday, April 20, 2008

May Day "Kentucky" Pie*****

Unlike most May Day pies that use whole chocolate chips, this recipe specifies to melt them. I think the melted chocolate chips gives the pie an almost brownie look and texture. The pie freezes well too!! (Which is where mine will sit until Derby Day :)

finleywilson 030

2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
6-ounces semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 stick butter, melted

2 Tbsp bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 (9-inch) deep dish unbaked pie shells
Ice cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine eggs, sugar, and melted chocolate in large bowl. Add flour and mix well, stirring in remaining ingredients. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake for 40 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream.

Bumblebee's*****

The perfect use for your leftover pie dough scraps! I can't make a pie without making these; it brings back childhood memories of my Mom making them for my sister and I with her pumpkin pie dough scraps...

finleywilson 029

Gather leftover pie scraps, press back into a ball and roll back out. Sprinkle dough with cinnamon sugar and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Roll dough into spirals and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Danko Family said...

This is such a great idea! I'll definitely have to make these the next time I make my pizza pie. I always have pie crust scraps, but end up throwing them away!