So, so good!
4 precooked chicken sausages, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1 lemon or lime, zested and juiced
salt and pepper
1 cup grits
8 Tbsp crumbled fresh goat cheese or 1/2 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar or pepper-jack
1. Cook sausage and onions until browned, tossing occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add asparagus, thyme saute about 6 minutes.
3. While asparagus cooks, in a small saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Once boiling add a small handful of salt. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 6 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice to asparagus mixture and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in cheese and season grits with salt and pepper. Serve sausage and asparagus over grits.