Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mar-a-largo Turkey Burgers*****

These turkey burgers were featured on Oprah a couple weeks ago, and she claimed that they were her favorite burger.  We turkey burgers a lot in the summer, so I'm excited to try "the best turkey burger" recipe. (See my thoughts below.)

foodblog 010

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 4 pounds ground turkey breast
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. chipotle Tabasco™
  • 1 lemon, juice and grated zest
  • 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney, pureed (I used red pepper relish)


Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.


Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight (I made twelve) burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

finleywilson 033
Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.

foodblog 007
Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll.

foodblog 013

My thoughts, WOW, they are really good!  Turkey meat can easily dry out, the addition of the sautéed apple mixture and the chutney prevented this quite well.  I also think making the burgers large contributes to them staying moist.  (I normally make 4 burgers out of 1 lb where this recipe instructs to make 2 burgers per pound - that's REALLY big, I compromised and did 3 per pound.)

 

As you can see from the photo of them patted out, when I formed the burgers I made a thumb indention in the center.  This prevents the burgers from puffing in the center and becoming round as they cook; instead  they will even out and be nice and flat. 

No comments: