I make a monthly trip to Trader Joe's with cooler and ice packs in tote. Here's what's always on my list.
- whole wheat pizza dough - in the veggie section $.99 per ball (I buy 4-5 at a time and pop them in the freezer, thaw over night in the fridge for use the next day)
- marinara sauce - we use as pizza and pasta sauce $1.19 per jar
- Ezekiel bread - I buy several loaves and store in the freezer (I thaw a few days worth of bread at a time)
- whole wheat cinnamon mini-bagels - freeze and thaw these as well, my husband takes one to work every day for breakfast along with a boiled egg and apple
- Organic Eggs (they have a good price so I buy 2-3 dozen at a time for my cooking needs and Andy's boiled eggs)
- Organic Milk - I pick up a gallon while I'm there at their reasonable price
- Organic low-fat vanilla yogurt - I buy 3-4 large container and store one in the fridge at work along with a Tupperware container of homemade nutty granola. It's an instant afternoon snack, I will sometimes toss in 1/2 a sliced banana or a few strawberries.
- Fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables
- Grape seed oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Balsamic Vinegar - all at great prices
- Organic Rice and Pasta - they have wild rice, brown basmati rice, israeli couscous blends, microwave pouches, etc.
- Ready-to-heat Indian Sauce packets - They have 5-6 flavors to choose from, I boil whole-wheat pasta, toss the foil sauce bag in the water with the pasta the last 5 minutes to heat. I sometimes toss in green beans or asparagus to blance a minute or two and have a one pot meal in about 10 minutes.
- Frozen Naan - I like the garlic but they also have plain, It bakes up in the oven in 1-2 minutes and is an awesome indulgence along with the Indian pasta recipe above.
- Flowers - it's a nice monthly treat to bring home a small seasonal bouquet
- CHARLES SHAW wine - we buy an assortment depending on the season, including: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, White Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Merlot, and they have a holiday spiced one too at Christmas (we buy 1 or 2 cases at a time $3 a bottle, and we think it's a great everyday wine)
- Frozen Items: asparagus, green beans, sliced tri-color peppers, broccoli, spinach (all great to have on hand for dinner during the winter months. I find ways to incorporate them into all kinds of recipes)
- TJ Dish washing detergent, TJ hand soap, Avalon Organics conditioner, Dr. Bronner's All-Purpose soap (I use as shower gel, love the almond scent - smells like amaretto liqueur)
Special Treat Items:
- Trader Joe's Everything Pretzel Slims
- Sharon's Sorbet
- Whole Wheat Pita or mini-pitas (freeze and thaw)
- Whole Wheat Tortilla Wraps (freeze and thaw)
- Trader Joe's specialty beers
After typing this out, I'm feeling the urge to head that way ;-)