Sunday, May 18, 2008

Crushed Potatoes*****

Tender inside and crunchy on the outside - these were great!! I'll be doing this method with new potatoes from now on.

Sorry the photo isn't the best...we were so hungry tonight that I forgot to plate and photograph them. Luckily, I had packed some for the hubby for lunch tomorrow.

foodblog 003

8 small potatoes (like Yukon gold or red new), about 1 pound
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Steam the potatoes, whole, for 20 minutes, until they are still firm yet easily pierced with a fork. Drain.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place a potato on the tray, cut a small cross about 1/4-inch deep into the potato and crush the potato with the back of a wooden spoon to flatten into a patty about 1/2-inch thick. Try to crush it just enough so it stays together with most of its skin intact. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.

Brush the tops of the potatoes with the oil, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and bake until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes.

Recipe Adapted from ELLIE Krieger

Garden Update

It's been almost 5 weeks since I purchased (see here) my tomato and pepper plants from the Raleigh Farmers Market. They have grown quite nicely and I am very pleased! It seems that I have found a nice place in the yard that they are happy with and we have been getting enough rain in combination with the occasional watering I give them. There are a lot of flowering buds on them...I wonder how much longer until were able to begin picking and eating them? I'm going with 4-5 more weeks.

foodblog 040

4 tomato plants

foodblog 041

4 pepper plants (two per pot)

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Brilliant idea for potatoes~I'm trying that one!

Sara M. said...

I might try those potatoes tonight. I'm making roast & carrots in the crock pot, but we don't really like potatoes cooked in with them, so I ususally roast them anyway. :o)

Jessica said...

You will love them!! So much better than corckpot or even traditional baked potatoes.

Tina said...

Your garden is so cute! I really want to start my own... maybe next weekend! :)

Jessica said...

Thanks Tina! :o) I bet you'd still get some late summer veggies if you started now - the container gardenign is so easy. The only up keep is the watering and I use the water that I wash my lettuce and veggies in to give my plants a drink. I just use the salad spinner basket to colletc the water in and make several trips out as I wash them.