Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rhubarb Season!!

Rhubarb is one of my favorite foods; therefore, when it's in season I stockpile it and eat it all year long. 

 

foodblog 008

It comes in long stalks like celery.  I first bring them home and wash the stalks 2-3 in my hands at a time.

 

Then chunk the rhubarb into bite sized pieces.  (If the stalk is thick I slice it in half or in thirds so that all the stalks are pretty much uniform.)

foodblog 010

Finally, using freezer safe bags, divide and seal it into 1 lb portions.  I label and date the bags and away the go.  They are ready to thaw and use in the recipe below, no pre-cooking required. 

 

So far I'm up to 7 lbs frozen.

 

My favorite winter rhubarb comfort food...  

 

Rhubarb Raspberry Crumble

This is so good, in my opinion vanilla ice cream is not required, but a welcome addition. 

click recipe to enlarge

The recipe calls for 3 lbs rhubarb, I also make this a lot in smaller 1 lb portions by reducing the recipe by a third.

1 comment:

Sara M. said...

You know I'm going to have to make some of this now! I still have some rhubarb in the freezer from last year that I need to use up. :O)