Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Beef Enchiladas

I made my own red enchilada sauce for these - I personally get a lot of satisfaction out of taking something that you would typically purchase pre-made and creating a homemade version of it. Plus it saves money, taste better, and is healthier with less sodium and better quality ingredients.

foodblog 012

  • 8 whole-wheat flour tortillas
  • 1 lb ground chorizo or sirloin (from Brinkley's Farm)
  • 1 jalapeno, minced (home grown)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 3 Tbsp Penzey's taco seasoning, optional
  • Salt and pepper
  • ½ cup medium salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice, prepared
  • 2-3 handfuls baby spinach, optional
  • Enchilada Sauce (below), prepared or 2 cans of red enchilada sauce
  • 4-5 oz shredded cheese

In a large skillet brown meat 5-6 minutes, breaking up pieces as you go. Add onion and jalapeno, sauté 2-3 minutes. Stir in seasonings, salsa, rice and spinach; heat through. Pour 1 ½ cups of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Place ¼ cup mixture in bottom of each tortilla and roll. Continue rolling and placing them side by side in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

Enchilada Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 Tbsp cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 oz tomato paste
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup water
  • salt and pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add cumin, flour, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

5 comments:

Kath said...

Those look great!! I'm in Hillsborough, but only for the night before I fly out or I would have seen if you wanted to get together :)

Amy said...

I actually just tried an enchilada casserole recipe the other week and was really turned off by the canned sauce. This looks really easy--I'll definitely try it this week!

The muesli turned out fine with the instant oatmeal this morning. My son liked it, too, so I'll make up a couple of bowls for us. It is surprisingly filling--added a mug of coffee and I was good to go!

Amy said...

Absolutely delicious! We're having enchiladas for dinner tonight.

Jessica said...

Amy - wonderful!! I am so excited that you are trying and enjoying some of the recipes I've posted! Do you have a blog yourself or live in the Durham area?

Amy said...

I don't have a blog. I live in North Durham; we moved here from Florida about 5 years ago. :)