I've blogged about making Mississippi Caviar before, but here's a "Durham" Caviar for ya (since all the ingredients were grown locally)!
- 1/2 lb butter beans (CSA)
- 1/2 lb purple-hull peas (CSA) *I had never had these, they are a lot like black-eyed peas
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, diced (CSA)
- 4 cherry tomatoes, diced (home grown)
- 2 jalapeno's, mined (home grown)
- 1/2 red and 1/2 green bell pepper, diced (CSA)
- 2 garlic cloves (Farmer's Market)
- 3 oz EVOO
- 3 oz tarragon or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Boil the beans and peas for 10 minutes until tender. I placed 1 Tbsp salt and 3 Tbsp sugar in the water once it came to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and vinaigrette. Refrigerate until chilled about 2 hours. Serve with chips, pita, or alone as a side dish.