Sunday, August 24, 2008

Beach Make Ahead: Florentine Mac and Cheese with Chicken-Apple Sausages

Today: It started off with a warm skim milk coffee and yogurt with granola topping, Andy and I did a Yogini DVD workout, then it was onto completing the upcoming months finance forecast, we finalized our Living Wills, did more laundry, cooked speltberries, prep muesli and hard boiled eggs for the week, made calamari and homemade marinara for lunch, made and froze a pasta casserole for the beach and now it's onto more hammock time :o) Whew, I'm ready to go back to work so I can get a break around here, ha ha.

Beach Prep Begins!!

The last couple of years I have begun cooking and pre-making most of our food that we take to our week beach vacation. I really enjoy doing this for several reasons:

  • ease of meals while at the beach and more time to relax
  • convenient
  • frugal to bring prepared meals and to buy most of the ingredients here vs. paying higher prices at the grocery stores at the beach
  • AND beach anticipation!!!

I know it's right around the corner when I start making and freezing the meals!

foodblog 007

First up: Florentine Mac and Cheese with Chicken-Apple Sausages - click here for the original recipe. I swapped up the meatballs for chicken-apple sausage and also threw in roasted squash and mushrooms.

Pasta boiling and cheese sauce simmering:

foodblog 001

Cheese sauce with spinach, roasted veggies, and chicken sausage addition

foodblog 005

3 comments:

sarah said...

that looks wonderful -- i think i will plan to make it next week! looks like it would yield lots of leftovers :)

also, it's so cute that andy will do yoga w/ you! my husband just makes fun of me (in a nice way, but still) when i do it at home!

Kath said...

Great idea to make beach things in advance! That pasta looks soooo good! I am scheduling it for us to make next week or the next!!

Hope you're well :)

Adriana said...

You are a brilliant cook!! Love the food you have prepared.