Monday, August 11, 2008

Long Weekend's Over - we both had the best time

We've finally gotten unpacked, supper cooked, lunches packed, laundry folded, receipts recorded, and emailed checked :-)  from our long weekend in the Smokey Mountains (and a quick stop home to KY). Andy had a refreshing time with his grad-school friends and I had non-interrupted quality time with my family.

Friday morning we headed out for TN.  It wasn't too long of a trip, a little over 5 hours and just about an hour further than Asheville.  That evening we made three pizzas and has Oreo ice cream sandwiches for dessert.  The oven was SUPER hot and the baking pans were pitiful, so pizza was a little disappointing compared to the usual. 

Saturday morning I got up and left the chalet at 6:30 AM to drive to my hometown in KY, which was 3 hours further.  My sister, Sara, was having a surprise birthday party and I was very happy and excited that I was able to be there with her to celebrate her 30th!

party1

Afterwards Mom, Sara, and I spent the evening eating a few Fig and Ginger Truffles, drinking a little wine, and talking about everything we've been needing to catch-up on.  We finally retired to bed at midnight, so we could continue our fun the next morning.

[foodblog 033[4].jpg]

Sunday morning, Mom made double blueberry muffins and I brought old-fashioned country seasoned sausage patties to go along side.  We also went for a cool, early morning walk (only 60 outside!), picked home grown green beans, tomatoes, and purple bell peppers.  It was the best couple of days we've had together in a long time!!!

foodblog 090

(Tonight's dinner was leftover pasta salad from Sara's b-day party; roasted home grown green beans; green leaf lettuce with bell pepper, tomatoes, peanuts and Asian toasted sesame dressing; and sautéed hot bratwurst's.

At noon on Sunday it was time for me to start heading back to TN, in order to make it back for supper.  The drive was a little too eventful, right as I reached the top of the mountains my gas light came on!!  We have AAA which was assuring, but I really didn't want to sit for an hour waiting for them to come rescue me.  Luckily, 20 miles later (I was starting to freak) I found an exit with gasoline - I know better to let my tank get that low...but I just lost track of how low I really was. 

Sunday dinner was Grilled Chicken and Paneer Skewers; Grilled Potatoes, Garlic, and Onions; and Grilled Corn on the Cob.  Three of Andy's friends are from India.

IMG_2919

The chicken and paneer (an Indian cheese) was marinated in low-fat plain yogurt with paneer tikka gravy mix.  It was skewered with red onions, red and green bell peppers, and tomatoes.

IMG_2909 

While I was out a few more delicious Indian dishes were prepared and leftovers saved for me!  Thank you guys!

IMG_4974 

Chole: Chick peas, tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, cilantro, mint, green chillies, chole masala, jeera, bayleaves, dhaniya jeera, red chilli powder, salt, rice, frozen naan.

2 comments:

sarah said...

YUMMMM indian!

and ohmygod i would have freaked about the gas. i HATE when my light goes on! there is always more in the tank than you think, though. or so i've been told!

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.