Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oat, Flax, Walnut Bread

This is my rendition of Kath's husband's Oat, Flax, Walnut Bread. (I prefer to use a bread machine for the dough portion and then knead, shape, and bake it myself.)

This is SO good, it has the perfect chewy crust and tender interior.

foodblog 026

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 3 Tbsp ground flax
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup walnut pieces
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp instant yeast

Place warm water, oats and flax in a small bowl and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Then add the mixture to the bread pan of the bread machine. Add the remaining ingredients in order listed; make a well in the flour and add the yeast. Set on dough cycle, press start.


When dough cycle is finished, take dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased bread pan; cover and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 400*. Slash loaf down the middle. Right before placing the loaf in the oven, splash 1 oz water in the oven for steam. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees.

foodblog 033

Summer CSA - Week 4

So far, this is the best basket I've received - the colors are amazingly VIBRANT. Since we have a busy weekend planned I'll be roasting and preparing most of them tomorrow night. I plan to chop and freeze the okra for use later in fall stews.

foodblog 001

squash 1 lb

zucchini 1 lb

assorted heirloom tomatoes 1 lb

red cherry tomatoes 1 pt

assorted sweet peppers 1 lb

pablano peppers 1 lb

okra 1 lb

4 comments:

Amy said...

ooh, that looks good. I'm looking forward to signing up again for the fall.

Kath said...

Glad you liked the bread!!!

Matt (Kath Eats' husband) said...

Yum, looks like the crumb turned out perfectly... makes me want some french toast...

Ann Kelly Parkhurst said...

I have signed your blog before, I went to school with Andy. Anyway, I made this bread to night and it was great. I was out of wheat flour so I just used organic unbleached but can't wait to make it again. I also added some sunflower seeds YUMMY