Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Slow Cooker Indian Curry

We're still EXHAUSTED from the weekend road trip, luckily I have a few crock pot recipes that I have been wanting to try.  Tonight, I made Indian Curry with Brow Rice.  I based the recipe from Rachael Ray's, but ended up making many substitutions.  This was pretty good, but not so awesome that I will likely make again.

foodblog 013

  • 1 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
  • 1 4 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Few dashes hot sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 large eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 4 cups fresh purple hull peas (or 2 cans chick peas)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Brown rice

     

    In the bowl of a crock pot combine the coconut milk, tomato paste, water, lime juice, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and hot sauce. To that add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, eggplant, sweet potatoes, and peas. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper and then turn the crock pot on to high heat, cover it, and let the curry stew for about 8 hours.  Serve the curry with prepared rice.

     

    Summer CSA - Week 6

    I plan to make Kath's gazpacho this weekend with the tomatoes and cucumbers (and peppers from my garden).

    cucumbers 2 lbs

    squash lb

    zucchini lb

    tomatoes lb

    red cherry tomatoes pt

    okra lb

  • 2 comments:

    Herbs and Me said...

    I would love some crock-pot recipes. Do you have anything with using chicken?:)

    Renee

    Jessica said...

    I have several chicken slow cooker recipes previously posted too. Here's a listing of all my slow cooker posts: http://johnstonesvinblanc.blogspot.com/search?q=slow+cooker