Sunday, August 17, 2008

Zucchini Rocks!

I like to keep pretty busy around the house, but that's hard to do when your a visiting guest. We've been visiting Andy's grandmother several times each day, but that only occupies so much time. I mentioned this to my Mom; that if I were at home I'd be cooking this or that but since most of the family is at the hospital there's no one really around to eat the food even if I did make something. She then had a brilliant idea (she's so smart :) to cook and freeze several dishes for them to pull out and bake!! That's all I needed and away I've gone!

I just placed the last dish in the oven this morning, Zucchini Casserole. I also made a double batch of Goulash, Pastitsio, Chocolate-Pecan Tart (without the chocolate my father-in-laws favorite), and a slightly modified version of Tina's Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookie!

This dish is SO good. We've been eating it for dinner and then as a savory reheated breakfast item! If I make this just for Andy and I plan to omit the cheese in the batter and just use 1 cup sharp cheddar for the top.

Zucchini Casserole

4 eggs, beaten (or 2 eggs and 2 egg whites)
1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
1 c. biscuit mix (dry)
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chili peppers w/ juice OR 4 oz salsa OR diced peppers & tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
4 c grated zucchini

Combine eggs, oil, & biscuit mix. Stir in chili peppers, onions, garlic, & 1/2 the cheese. Stir in squash. Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish.


Bake @ 350 for 40 min. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes more.

THE BEST RECIPE OF THE WEEKEND!!! I've been craving these ever since Tina posted them about two weeks ago and they did not disappoint, these are definitely becoming one of my favorite cookies. They are moist, tender, a little chewy, sweet and chocolaty!! Bonus they have healthy zucchini, whole wheat flour, and heart healthy canola oil.


Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes about two dozen)


1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

Combine in large bowl.


1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp nutmeg

Combine in a separate, small bowl and blend into liquid mixture.


1 cup finely shredded zucchini
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Stir these into other ingredients, mix well. Drop by spoonful onto greased baking sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350°, 14 to 18 minutes. Thoroughly ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Micah and Katie said...

I love zucchini and it seems like this is the time of year when every gardener wants to give you some of their crop. I will be posting a yummy zucchini cake this week but I am going to try your cookies for sure.