This afternoon I decided to dive in and complete the final make ahead item. I made and froze 24 bean burrito's!!
- 3/4 cup rice (brown or white)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag frozen corn kernels, (10 ounces)
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 10-12 burrito-size flour tortillas, 10 inches each
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
Cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add beans and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add corn; cook to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cooked rice and mix to combine. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
Assemble: Mound 1/2 cup rice/bean mixture, and 2 Tbsp cheese on one side of tortilla. Fold, and hold in sides. Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
Serve immediately, with salsa and sour cream, if using, or wrap individually in plastic and freeze up to 3 months.
To cook from frozen state: Unwrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart
I've gotten so much enjoyment and satisfaction out of lovingly preparing these meals for my mom, step-dad, and hubby! I hope they are very pleasing for us and allow us to enjoy quality time together. Mom and I have some special items we plan to cook at the beach together too, but the majority of the work has now all been completed!
Stick a fork in me, I'M DONE!!!