Thursday, September 4, 2008

Maple-Mustard Chicken Tenders

We had a homey, comforting meal tonight after a busy work day.  I tried a new glaze from an Ellie Krieger recipe, but used it on chicken tenders instead of bone-in thighs as the recipe called.  I thought the sweet maple syrup complemented the brown sugar squash well.

I also made baked acorn squash, which  always reminds me of home when my Mom used to prepare it for us.  I didn't like sweet potatoes as a kid, but I always loved acorn squash.  To me this is the classic winter squash and way to cook make it.

foodblog 002

4 chicken tenderloins
2 tablespoons grainy French mustard
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat grill pan or skillet to medium-high.

Combine mustards, garlic, oregano and maple syrup in a small bowl. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard mixture evenly on top of each chicken piece, being careful to cover as much of the surface as possible to form a "crust." Place chicken into the pre-heated grill pan. Cook for 4 minutes per side, or until mustard mixture has formed a crust and is slightly hardened, and juices run clear when the chicken is pierced.

foodblog 001

Original recipe from Ellie Krieger

Served with leftover grilled veggies and baked acorn squash.

Baked Acorn Squash

Place 1/2 inch water in a baking dish.  Slice an acorn squash in half and scrape out the seeds.  Lay the seeded acorn squash halves cut side down into the water.  Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Drain off water, allow squash to cool 5-6 minutes.  Fill the cavity of each half with a combination of cinnamon/brown sugar and light butter.

1 comment:

Pennies In My Pocket said...

The name alone makes me want to cook this right this second! This sounds FABULOUS!!

~melody~