Friday, September 19, 2008

Squash Puree and Pesto

I'm getting addicted to this making ahead and freezing stuff or maybe I'm just taking advantage of freezing great vegetables at their peak to have all winter long.  Either way, it gives me great satisfaction!  These purees can be used for recipes that call for pumpkin puree too.

foodblog 053

butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes

Fill a large pot with enough water to come 2 inches up the sides of the pot. Set a steamer rack in the pot, cover, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the squash and steam over medium heat until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.

foodblog 038

Transfer the squash to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.

Basil Pecan Pesto

  • 3 cups loosely packed basil leaves
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup pecans (I wanted a few pistachios too)

foodblog 042

foodblog 046

Begin to pulse herb, garlic, and nut mixture.  Drizzle in about a 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.  (Add a couple Tbsp parmesan cheese later when using the pesto in a recipe.)

foodblog 049

I have always portioned it into ice cube trays, froze and placed into baggies.  This time I had the idea of freezing the mixture into a thin layer and breaking/cutting off a small portion when needed.  I think this make for easy use...we'll see.

foodblog 051

A few other items

Deep Dish pizza for dinner with pineapple, avocado, and cheddar cheese.  It was delish!

foodblog 039

Finally, my cute new hair cut (that I'll never be able to style like this :o)

jess 9-08

4 comments:

Kath said...

Cute cut!!!

And yummy food.

Anonymous said...

Gosh! It looks like your husband did a lot of the work! I can tell his "signature" cubing method

Biz319 said...

I like your hair cut too!

Never thought to freeze pesto in one large chunk like that, but then it makes sense that you can just cut off what you need.

I think I have my last batch of basil in my garden so that's on my plan today. Thanks for the idea

hot garlic said...

You're so organized! Good for you for attempting a project like this, it is going to pay off all winter long. You've been so busy the last few days!

Cute cut!