This chicken dish was killer. The recipe called to pound chicken breasts out, roll them around blue cheese, scallions and pecans. I normally convert these type recipes into quick cooking, no-rolling, chicken tenderloins. Why waste time dirtying waxed paper, a mallet, tooth picks, etc?
Here's my "deconstucted" version.
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/8 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced on bias
- 2 slices good-quality center cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Wrap a slice of bacon around each chicken breast. Place the chicken (bacon seem-side down) into the pan and brown 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a small baking sheet, place in the oven and cook 10 minutes more.
Melt the butter/oil in the same skillet pan the chicken was seared in over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in stock. Let thicken a minute then whisk in the milk and grain mustard, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to warm.
Plate chicken, top with gravy, blue cheese crumbles, pecans, and scallions.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Jewel Roasted Vegetables
I heart roasted brussels sprouts!!! This medley was great, but honestly I'd rather just have a pan full of brussels sprouts. If you've never roasted them, you're really missing out! Really!!
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chunked
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chunked
- 3 carrots, peeled and chunked
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the vegetables and garlic cloves into a large baking dish and toss with the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the vegetables into the oven and cook for 45-50 minutes, stirring the vegetable mixture once or twice.
Stir the thyme into the carrot and Brussels sprouts mixture and let it continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the oven, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.