Incredible, the cheese came out bubbling from the oven! I love the cheesy, crispy, crunchy topping; the soft rich shrimp, scallops, and calamari rings, and the ooey-gooey-cheesy pasta!! The seafood blend really gourmets up this dish and it was really quick to all come together too.
I <3 these kind of leftovers.
Here's my adaptation:
- Course salt and ground pepper
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or short whole wheat pasta
- 6 tbsp light butter
- 3 garlic cloves,minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups skim or 1% milk
- 1 tsp Hungarian paparika
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp tumeric or dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp chipotle or cayenne pepper
- 1 pound, coarsely chopped lobster, shrimp, crawfish or crabmeat, or a combination (I used a bag of TJ's frozen seafood blend)
- 3 cups mixed grated cheeses,such as parmesan,cheddar,swiss, and fontina
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
While water comes to a boil, saute seafood mix 5-6 minutes, until no longer opaque. Remove to a plate and set aside. Melt butter over medium in a large saucepan. Transfer 2 tbsp melted butter to a medium bowl,and reserve. Add garlic to pan, cook until softened,1 to 2 minutes.
Once water is boiling, salt and drop the pasta,cook 3-4 minutes less than al dente. Drain, set aside.
Add flour, cook, stirring,1 minute. Add milk, whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer,and cook until sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes season with 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and remaining seasonings. Remove pan from heat. Fold in seafood, macaroni, and cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for topping), transfer to a sprayed 9x13 baking dish.
To bowl with reserved melted butter, add bread crumbs, toss, and scatter over macaroni mixture. Scatter remaining cheese. Bake until topping is golden and sauce is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
**I roasted a few frozen asparagus spears along side the mac and cheese. Drizzled with grape seed oil, s&p.