Saturday, October 25, 2008

FRUIT CAKES are HERE!!! (and a surprise sweet ending)

I just LOVE this time of year, fall weather gets me so excited for all things festive.  The pumpkin sweet and savory dishes, cranberries, turkey, hot apple cider, bourbon balls (hello Isaacs :), buckeye candies, fudge (and the 5-minute kind ain't bad either),  and brandy soaked homemade fruit cakes!! 

foodblog 096

I made four mini loaves this year using my families recipe, enough to be enjoyed but also just enough that I'll cherish each bite. 

Mix-in's: candied fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, coarsely chopped pecans.

foodblog 067

Wet & Dry: flour, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, brandy

foodblog 071

Jewel Toned Batter

foodblog 083

After baking for 30 minutes, add reserved candied fruit and pecans and garnish the fruit cakes.  Drizzle with honey as the "shalac", continue baking.

foodblog 087

Cooling

foodblog 099

Soak cheese cloth in brandy or bourbon

foodblog 106

Wrap each individually and store in an airtight container.  Every 7-10 days use a pastry brush to give the cheese cloth wrapping another coating of brandy.  I like to do this a total of 3-4 times.

foodblog 107

I tried something new this year, fruit cake cookies!!!  I used a medium scoop and made a few cookie balls.  Bake these along side of the fruit cakes for 30 minutes.  Brush with a small "swipe" of brandy while still warm.  These were really good!!  I may be baking a few of these off again this year.

foodblog 084

Andy ate 3 of the 5 cookies, one right after another.  That's saying A WHOLE LOT coming from Andy who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth.

1 comment:

AJ said...

soo....where are you hiding the bourbon/brandy....just asking.