I had my first tast of tempeh several months ago while eating at The Laughing Seed Cafe in Asheville, NC. Andy and I both really liked it's chewy texture and nutty taste. Tonight was my first stab at preparing it. The sandwich was almost too filling and the tempeh was good but not quite up to my standards. I am on the hunt for a recipe to perfect my tempeh technique - anyone have any advice?
1 8-ounce package tempeh
1 tablespoon pepper relish
1 tablespoon tamari
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 tablespoons water
- Cut tempeh in half lengthwise, quarter and then again into eighths.
- Combine relish, tamari, mustard and water and pour over tempeh.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then turn and bake for another 15 minutes.
2 slices whole grain sourdough bread
3 tablespoons mustard
3 tablespoons sauerkraut
Cooked marinated tempeh slices
- Spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of mustard.
- Place sauerkraut and tempeh between bread slices and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from here
I ended the meal with a few of these yummy cookies!