Monday, October 20, 2008

Shallow Fried Cod Fillet Sandwiches

I received a g-chat from Andy asking me if I remembered how good the Long John's Silver fish wraps were back in college.  This short conversation put us both in the mood for a homemade fish sandwich.  I ran out to Trader Joe's at lunch and purchased a few frozen cod fillets. 

foodblog 077

  • 1/2 c multi-grain baking mix
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp creole seasoning
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c 1% milk, or until you have a thick batter

Heat 3-4 Tbsp grape seed oil over medium heat in a cast iron or oven proof skillet.  Mix batter together and dredge fillets.  Cook 3-4 minutes per side and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-6 minutes (my fillets were really thick.)

foodblog 067

While this was baking I sliced a tomato and avocado, and whipped together 3 Tbsp EVOO mayo with 2-3 tsp dill pickle relish.

foodblog 071

Served with halved brussel sprouts that were tossed in 1 Tbsp EVOO, s&p.  Baked at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Drizzle with 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar when they come out of the oven.

4 comments:

Kristin Isaacs said...

Those look great! We'll have to try your recipe. We've never had great luck with cooking fish (other than salmon) - there is even an incident in our culinary past called "the pancake fish disaster." We don't speak of it.

runningwithfood.com said...

So simple and they look amazing! My hubby would love this - I have to jot this one down! :)

Sara M. said...

YUMMMM!!!!

mikky said...

looks like a great meal... will give it a try soon... :)