Saturday, October 11, 2008

Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Another delicious winner - Andy loved this one...and so did I. I especially like the charred edges that the tortillas got!! If and when UK games are ever aired this would be a really fun dish to serve along with a Mexican condiment bar and beer!

foodblog 048

9 corn tortillas, 6-inch (I used whole wheat flour)
1 can (12 to 16 ounces) whole kernel corn with peppers, drained (I used frozen with freshly diced peppers)
2 cups cooked diced chicken
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chile peppers, mild
11/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or mild Cheddar cheese
2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce (I made a double batch of my own)
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
guacamole, salsa, and sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)

foodblog 046
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place 3 tortillas in bottom of slow cooker (I prefer to tear each one into four pieces). Top tortillas with the corn, half of the chicken, about half of the seasonings, and half of the chile peppers. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese and pour about 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce over the cheese. Repeat with 3 more tortillas, the black beans, remaining chicken, seasonings, chile peppers, and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas and enchilada sauce. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours. Serve with guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.

foodblog 045

BTW, I found a new salsa when Mom and I were out shopping a couple weekends ago, Pepper Dog Salsa. It's made locally in Apex, NC and sold at Whole Foods and Earthfare (to name a few). I love the pureed texture/consistency and the rich bold flavor!

No comments: