Sunday, October 5, 2008

Soft Pumpernickel Bread

This is the perfect fall bread, I am so happy with the results of my labor! I love the deep rich chocolaty color too! I have big plans for this bread over the next couple of days too - I'm just afraid it may not last!!

foodblog 052

For bread machine:

  • 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F.)
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp molasses
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground coffee
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins, optional

foodblog 047
Put all ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Set on dough cycle.

foodblog 049

When dough cycle is finished, take dough out and shape into a loaf, then place in a greased bread pan. Optional, add dried fruit 1 hour into dough cycle. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Right before placing the loaf in the oven, splash 1 oz water in the oven for steam. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

foodblog 051

with Dried Cranberries

foodblog 035

foodblog 040

2 comments:

Amy said...

yum--that looks delicious! It wouldn't survive around my house either!

runningwithfood said...

I can't wait to make this bread! It looks wonderful!! Happy Monday!