Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rhubarb Barley Pudding

This smells wonderful and comes out of the oven puffed up.  I think this type of recipe is so fun to make.  The closest description I can think of is the taste of a rhubarb crisp but with a rice pudding texture - very good! 

The original recipe called for stewed apples and raisins but rhubarb was screaming my name from the batches I chopped and froze this past summer.  The stewed rhubarb reminded me of my mom's rhubarb pancake sauce, when my sister and I first fell in love with the stuff.

foodblog 073

1 cup stewed rhubarb*, room temp

2 cups cooked barley, room temp

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 eggs, separated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix rhubarb, barley and spices.  Beat egg yolk with a fork and add to mixture (be sure your ingredients are too hot or the egg may curdle).  Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.  Pour into a sprayed casserole dish and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

foodblog 053

*Simmer 1 lb rhubarb with 1/3 cup sugar and the juice of 1 large navel orange.  Cook 10-15 minutes until rhubarb has broken down and mixture has thickened.

Served with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream in my new olive green bowls.  I purchased a set of these today at World Market using a 25% off coupon.

foodblog 080

Apple Barley Pudding recipe from Arrowhead Mills

1 comment:

Kaos Full Print said...

The recipes you make very tasty. I have tired it. Besides delicious , your recipes are also very healthy. Thank you very much, I am very happy