Since we entertained on a Monday night, I chose to make the main dish in the slow cooker and then planned to pair it with pre-made Pumpkin Dinner Rolls and a quick side dish of roasted asparagus. We also had TJ's candy cane joe joe's and ice cream for dessert!
The meat dish was good, but not something that I'd rave about or likely make again. The pumpkin dinner rolls were the highlight of the meal for me.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca, optional
- 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries
- 1 bag (1 pound) frozen pearl onions
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; season beef with s&p, brown, and add to the slow cooker.
- Add flour to pot and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add broth, wine, bay leaf, molasses, tapioca, cranberries, onions and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook, on either low or high, until the beef is tender, 6 to 7 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart
I also set the table last night so that it would be all ready to go for me after work.