Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Unbelievably Good Dinner and Easy Creamed Spinach

I really don't know if I'll be able to top this on Thanksgiving Day, but I'll sure try. Tonight's meal was divine - it was comforting, colorful, healthy, and very satisfying.

foodblog 025

It started with a small cup of leftover ham and three bean soup that my sweet co-worker brought me for lunch. She used the leftover ham hock from our Thanksgiving celebration last Friday and cooked it up with butter beans, red beans, and navy beans. There was also stewed tomatoes worked in there! The ham flavored the whole dish and made it amazing!!

I also had some leftover cranberry-apple chutney in the fridge that I never get tired of.

Along side I served up some crazy good Easy Creamed Spinach and Ellie's Macaroni and Four Cheese (which I'll be posting next as this weeks entry to the new group I've joined over at CEiMB)! It was ALL delicious and I can't seem to pick a favorite of the night.

We also had leftover wine from last night dinner. I really enjoyed the Californian 2006 Huntington Cabernet Sauvignon - it had a mild spice and deep cranberry flavoring that perfectly paired the complex flavors of dinner.

foodblog 028

And to top the night off, YES a slice of Italian Cream Cake brought in buy another one of my great co-workers!! Boy, I'm a lucky girl tonight!

foodblog 031

And I hear my sweetheart downstairs cleaning the dishes for me!!

Easy Creamed Spinach

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 medium onion, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 ounces red fat bar cream cheese, cut into pieces
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk (I used fat free evaporated milk)
  • 2 boxes frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • pinch ground nutmeg
  1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
  2. Add cream cheese and milk; cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in spinach. Simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

cottchz said...

your house looks so cozy, i think im headed your way on tday, great menu!! sorry i havent gotten back to you, its been a bit crazy. i'd love to get coffee or something sometime though! i cant believe you already have your tree up!! how fun! i'll probably still just have my sleeping bag :p