These are soft, sweet, and tasty. They make a nice afternoon snack, breakfast, or dessert.
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten to mix
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup "fruit only" apricot preserves, I used blackberry preserves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the honey, applesauce, oil, egg and egg white until well combined. Stir in the oatmeal mixture until well combined. Add the dried cherries and walnuts.
Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Put the preserves in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. As soon as the bars come out of the oven, brush with the preserves. Cool completely and cut into 12 bars, about 4 by1 1/2 inches each.
Recipe from Ellie Krieger
I wrapped most of these individually in plastic wrap and popped them in the freezer for individual servings later. The others got packed up to have on hand as a snack at work.