Monday, December 15, 2008

CEiMB - Curried Butternut Squash Soup

This weeks CEiMB recipe was chosen by Mary Ann over at Meet Me in the Kitchen. The soup was a nice compliment of flavors with the savory curry, sweet honey and a pinch of nutmeg, and earthy mushrooms.  I decided to top the bowl with sauteed mushrooms with thyme instead of using plain yogurt as the recipe called, though both would be good.  I don't think I got my consistency quite right, I wish I had used less broth in my puree/broth ratio.

foodblog 035

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • pinch of nutmeg, optional
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 4 teaspoons plain low-fat yogurt, for garnish

Heat oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add onions and garlic and saute until soft but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the butternut squash, broth, curry powder and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat stir in honey and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.

Ladle into serving bowls and add a dollop of yogurt.

foodblog 007

Recipe from Ellie Krieger

4 comments:

leanne said...

I used a little less broth than called for because I ran out. I guess that was a good thing, huh?

Cathy said...

My consistency was not quite as smooth as it was supposed to be, but it still tasted good. The mushrooms were a nice idea!

Gabi said...

Nice idea with the mushrooms!
This was a nice quick recipe to make for the holi"daze"! :)

What's for Supper? said...

I like the mushrooms on top. I love mushrooms!