Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gouda Cheese Fondue with Roasted Vegetables

Andy and I our enjoying a nice New Years Eve at home. To bring in the New Year we shared a wonderful cheese fondue with rosemary roasted vegetables. We've started the Chronicles of Narnia movie Prince Caspian as we await our champagne toast.

christmas 2008 121

  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 12 ounces Gouda cheese, (rind trimmed), shredded
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Dippers:
  • Cubed or torn bread, roasted steak fries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and/or sliced apples or pears

Rub the cut sides of the garlic on the inside of a fondue pot or a heavy 2-qt saucepan; discard the garlic. Combine wine and lemon juice in a small pot over medium heat. Toss together both cheeses and cornstarch in a large bowl. When the wine comes to a boil, slowly add the cheese and cornstarch mixture, whisking continuously until smooth. Season with nutmeg and cayenne. Transfer to a small slow cooker set to low and serve with the selection of dippers. Fondue should hold on low setting for up to 1 hour.

Recipe from Rachael Ray

I saw that Jen over at Running with Food finally found the Arnold's Sandwich Thins so it gave me the courage to go out and hunt for them this afternoon too. I stopped into Kroger and found them located in the bread aisle!! The whole wheat variety is 100 calories per sandwich and 6 grams of fiber!!!

For now I've stuck them in the freezer (we don't eat bread that often) but I can't wait to try them soon!

christmas 2008 123

2 comments:

Sara M. said...

thanks for the pic, jess. I don't think my Kroger has them, but maybe they will soon. i did find a new type of arnold's 100% whole wheat bread that is "soft". you know my problem with wheat is that it's not as soft as white... I hope I like it! ;o)

runningwithfood.com said...

Yay! Glad you found them!!

I could really go for some of your fondue right now ... it looks great! Thanks for posting the recipe!