Friday, January 2, 2009

Braided Savory Spinach, Chorizo, and Cheese Pastry

My awesome hubby took down all the Christmas decorations this morning while I was at work, did laundry, ran to the grocery and even vacuumed.  He's the best and I'm a lucky girl!

We're meeting our UK buddies this evening for the UK Football Liberty Bowl Game against ECU!

As always, I love bringing along something to share and trying my hand at something new. I enjoy browsing the gorgeous bread photos over at "Artisan Bread"; after doing so I was inspired to try their braid savory pastry. Check their posting out for step by step directions.

foodblog 004

I used my homemade whole wheat pizza dough as the base.

After stretching out the dough, I topped it with thoroughly drained and squeezed spinach and a few cubes of light cream cheese.

foodblog 002

Added pre-cooked and cooled chorizo and a small mixture of pepper jack and cheddar cheeses.

foodblog 005

Then cut each side of the remaining dough into strips and crisscross over one another, (I was so anxious to "braid" I forgot to photograph!)

foodblog 008

All packaged up and ready to bake.

foodblog 007

To top it off brush the top with an egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds. I plan to serve this with marinara sauce for dipping, if so desired.

foodblog 002

1 comment:

Jeff Hertzberg said...

I'm so flattered Jessica!

Jeff Hertzberg
www.artisanbreadinfive.com