Sunday, January 25, 2009

Butternut Squash Risotto

On weekends I typically gather and prep all my recipe ingredients a little before I actually plan to cook.

Here I've got the pan, recipe, microplane grater, and rice out. I also diced the onion and am letting the butternut squash puree thaw out a bit.

foodblog 011

We're having roasted brussel sprouts on the side. I've cleaned and chopped them and plan to toss with tumeric powder. (I was originally going to make this recipe, but decided I didn't need to consume the extra delicious yet unnecessary calories of bacon and cheese.)

foodblog 012

Onto the risotto...I made a few changes to the recipe and this time IT DIDN'T WORK. The butternut squash puree to rice ratio was out of whack and it turned almost to a thick soup. To combat the liquid I tossed in a box of couscous which did the trick but I totally lost the creaminess factor that makes risotto such a beautiful dish. It was good enough to eat, but I don't recommend my version - at least I would not qualify it as a risotto. If you want to try the dish, use the exact recipe that's at the very end of this post.

foodblog 010

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I used butternut squash puree I had previously prepared)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, mixed with 1/2 cup water and heated
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 tsp dried, plus more for garnish
  1. In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until edges soften, 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. Add rice; stir to coat. Add wine; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
  3. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1/2 cup hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, 35 to 40 minutes total.
  4. Stir in Parmesan, sage, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan and sage, if desired.
Recipe from Everyday Food Magazine

Now onto something more enjoyable...

foodblog 007

No comments: