Tuesday, January 6, 2009

CEiMB: Fried Rice with Scallions and Edamame

This weeks CEiMB recipe was chosen by one of my favorite fellow blogger's Jen (not to mention she introduced me to CEiMB) over at Running with Food. I've had this Ellie Krieger bookmarked myself for quiet awhile, I was thrilled with her choice so I could finally give it a try.

By pre-making the rice another night, this recipe was super fast and easy. I love the flavor combination and the contrast of textures. *I needed leftover rice to serve with Indian Butter Chicken so I decided to leave out the tofu. So after having several bites of this by itself, I topped it with tonight's dinner of Indian Butter Chicken (recipe posted next).

foodblog 005

  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 scallions, greens included, rinsed, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 4 cups leftover cooked brown rice
  • 3/4 cup finely diced red pepper
  • 3/4 cup cooked, shelled edamame
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen, thawed, corn
  • 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

foodblog 002

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet until very hot. Add the garlic, scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened and aromatic, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice, red pepper, edamame, corn and tofu and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Make a 3-inch well in the center of the rice mixture. Add 1 teaspoon of canola oil, then add the eggs and cook until nearly fully scrambled. Stir the eggs into the rice mixture, then add soy sauce and incorporate thoroughly. Serve hot.

Recipe from Ellie Kriger

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I was really excited about this one, too. It caught my eye when I first looked at the book and I really enjoyed it.

runningwithfood.com said...

Aww ... thanks for the sweet compliment, girl! You are the queen!!

I'm excited to make this tonight. I already have my rice ready to go, so from there, it should be a cinch!

What's for Supper? said...

Great job!

Leslie said...

Great idea to serve this with butter chicken! Wasn't this a yummy recipe?

Peggy said...

Your rice looks fabulous and I bet the butter chicken was good too. Glad you are looking forward to the cacciatore - I am too! I had a hard time choosing from all the wonderful recipes.

leanne said...

Awesome chicken recipe. I will have to try it that way next time!