Sunday, January 11, 2009

Healthy Banana-Blueberry Bread

I have a confession to make, I ate THREE slices of this baby already!  We wanted something warm this morning for breakfast, but different from pancakes, waffles and such.  The recipe was originally for muffins, but I knew making it in a loaf pan would make for easier clean-up (my priorities are always in alignment)!  I'd forgotten how well bananas and blueberries pair together!

foodblog 019 

1 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour 
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter (I used Kroger brand light)

1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed 
1/3 cup reduced fat milk 
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen blueberries

foodblog 017
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Lightly grease a loaf pan, set aside.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the bananas, milk, and vanilla.  With mixer on low, add the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, salt; mix just until combined.  Fold in blueberries.

Place batter in loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.  Allow to cool ten minutes in the pan, then move to cooling rack.

foodblog 020

Recipe from Jan/Feb 2009 Everyday Food

2 comments:

Danko Family said...

this looks super yummy...I'm going to have to try it. I have some blueberries in my freezer from Eric's parent's yard!!!

Northern Virginia said...

Finally! A whole wheat quick bread that isn't dry and boring. I love that this recipe isn't loaded with sugar. I use 1/2 cup of canola oil instead of the butter. The blueberries are great for summer and I use chopped cranberries from my food processor for the fall. I can't wait to mix it up a little and try canned pumpkin and cranberries or chopped apples with raisins and spices. I think the whole wheat flour ingredients make an excellent base to experiment with other flavors such as these. I'm also suprised that the higher baking temperature does not dry out the bread either. It's just perfect!