Saturday, January 3, 2009

KY BEER CHEESE (in all its glory)

Beer cheese is a central Kentucky speciality and we've been making it in our family for the last several years. It's the best stuff ever and they sell it in every grocery store next to the pimento cheese spread. Since moving to NC we can only get our hands on it when family brings some down to us...but my all time favorite is to make my own.

While I was home over Christmas, I drove up to Lexington and purchased a 5 lb tub of sharp cheddar cheese spread to take back with me so that we can enjoy and share it anytime we'd like!!

foodblog 020

  • 5 lbs Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
  • 4-5 oz hot sauce
  • 1 Tb garlic salt
  • 1 1/2-2 Tb crushed red pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp liquid garlic (found in spice aisle)
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 stale beer (I like an Ale-style beer)

Open beer and let sit out all night to become stale. Let cheese sit out for 4-5 hours till room temp.

Scoop cheese into a VERY LARGE mixing bowl. Pour beer in a little at a time and mix in with hand mixer. Mix in rest of ingredients and spice-up to your liking...it does get a little hotter as it sits overnight so be careful.

foodblog 008

All whipped and blended together!

foodblog 011

I used a large ice cream scoop to portion into deli containers.

foodblog 015

15 glorious containers full!

foodblog 018

Stacked and ready for the fridge/freezer.

foodblog 023

2 comments:

KimberlyKaye said...

I LOVE beer cheese. I grew up in Richmond and have missed beer cheese sinced we moved to SC. We bring it back with us everytime we visit and have made beer cheese ourselves on a couple of occasions. Where in Lexington did you get the tub of cheese?

KimberlyKaye said...

Thanks! You are right we probably do have friends in common. Thanks for telling me about GFS. I was just there last week, LOL.