Mmmmm, yummy! Both dishes tonight were wonderful! The risotto mixture from last night was perfect for tonight's risotto cakes. I can't wait for leftovers of each tomorrow!
- 1 pound ground dark-meat turkey (93 percent lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 heads escarole (2 pounds total), cored, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- In a bowl, combine turkey, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using 1 tablespoon for each, roll mixture into balls.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and tomatoes (with juice); bring to a simmer. Add meatballs; cook, without stirring, until meatballs float to surface, about 5 minutes.
- Add as much escarole to pot as will fit. Cook, gradually adding remaining escarole, until wilted and meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Thin soup with water if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup sprinkled with more Parmesan.
Recipe from Everyday Food
Risotto Cakes: (above - cheesy gooey center)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or scallion greens
- 2 cups leftover risotto, chilled
- 8 small cubes fontina cheese (about 11/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup panko or traditional bread crumbs
Stir the chives into the chilled risotto. Form into 8 patties, using about 1/4 cup risotto for each. Press a hole in the center of each patty and stuff with a cube of fontina; pat risotto around each hole to cover.
Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Lightly dredge each risotto cake in the crumbs, turning to coat evenly. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spritz with olive oil cooking spray and cook risotto cakes 3-4 minutes per side.