Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken)

Success!!  I've finally found a curry flavored dish that tastes wonderful at home!!  The sauce was rich, thick and full of spice and the chicken and onion melded into it perfectly. I also think this would be great using a couple cans of chickpeas in place of the chicken.  I got rave reviews from the hubby tonight too!

foodblog 015 

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 T butter
15 cardamom pods
2 tsp curry
1 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 can coconut milk (I used light)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 T lemon juice
1 cup plain yogurt (to add at the end, I used fat free)

Use a 5 quart or larger crockpot. Place the cardamom pods in a little cheese cloth bundle (I used all my cheesecloth making fruitcakes, so instead used a mesh tea ball).

Put chicken in crockpot, and add onion, garlic, and all of the dry spices. Plop in the butter and tomato paste. Add lemon juice and coconut milk.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4. The chicken should shred easily with 2 forks when fully cooked.


Stir in plain yogurt 15 minutes before serving. Discard cardamom pods. Salt to taste, serve with white or brown basmati rice and hot sauce.

Recipe from A Year of Crock-potting

5 comments:

runningwithfood.com said...

This sounds fabulous. As soon as I can pick up some cardamom pods, I'm all over this recipe! Yum yummy!

Peggy said...

I've never had a curry dish that I like. I wonder if I would like this one? I would love to have some Indian food on my food rotation at home. I get tired of eating the same ole stuff, ya know? It looks delicious.

Chava said...

Sounds wonderful! Thank you for posting, I'm going to try it today!

Anonymous said...

This looks great-- quick question-- how much butter do you use? I did not see that in the listing, and only in the directions. Thanks!

Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc said...

4 tablespoons - we enjoyed this, hope you do as well!