Friday, February 27, 2009

Black Bean Brownies

This weeks Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI) is black beans! I immediately knew that I would scrounge about this recipe and finally get to give it a try. These are fudgy, chewy, and dense. I couldn't taste the beans at all! The bean puree replaced some of the oil and egg for moisture and added, of course, so great protein and fiber!

foodblog 008

Though they required a couple bowls and the food processor to prepare (I love one bowl recipes), once I had my ingredients out on the counter, I had these in the oven within about 10 minutes!

  • 7 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsalted light butter
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup light agave nectar or honey
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies. Spray paper with nonstick cooking spray.

foodblog 032
2. In medium heatproof bowl melt chocolate and butter in microwave for approx 1-2 minutes, until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa and apple sauce until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

3. Place the beans, the vanilla extract, and about 1/2 cup of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

foodblog 034
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, and salt until combined, about 15 seconds. Add the bean mixture to the chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture. Mix well; then stir in flour until just combined.

5. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed, 35 to 40 minutes.

foodblog 012
6. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, and then remove brownies from pan. Cut into 24 pieces and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.)

foodblog 014

Makes 24 brownies

image

7 comments:

Sweetie Pie said...

Oh YUM! Thanks for entering the BSI!! Great use of the ingredient!

I'm also excited to check out your blog! ;-)

Kelsey Miles said...

could you taste the beans?.. were they delicioius?.. I need to know more!.. :)

Jessica said...

I couldn't taste the beans at all! I'd like to try these again without the instant espresso, I feel then they would have been through a true brownie test. The bean puree replaced some of the oil and egg for moisture and added, of course, so great protein and fiber!

Danko Family said...

I'm going to have to try these with my egg replacer so B can have them. They sound yummy! I have a recipe for brownies with spinach in them...I'll let you know how they turn out!

Sharon said...

Wow, totally love it. Black beans in brownies? Sneaky good!

Not Another Omnivore said...

I read about these somewhere else last week. I'm glad to see that you found a way to really enjoy them!

NAOmni

Steph said...

i've been hearing such great things about black bean brownies i really must try them. also, celine at have cake, will travel just posted chickpea blondies which look equally as amazing. =)