Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CEiMB: Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes, Capers and Orzo

This week we were hosted by Cookies with Boys!  I love making this Ellie Krieger shrimp recipe, see here and here, but last evening I was in the mood to change it up!  Now that you’ve given Ellie’s a try, I hope you’ll enjoy this twist as well!

This dish was FULL of comfort: hearty pasta, creamy sauce, crisp bacon, salty capers and sweet shrimp and tomatoes!

foodblog 040

2 slices bacon
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
I lb orzo
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 box frozen spinach, thawed
1 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
3 tablespoons capers
4 teaspoons minced fresh oregano

Preheat oven to 400. Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Cook pasta 7-8 minutes.

foodblog 030

Meanwhile, pat shrimp dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper, set aside.

Cook bacon, until browned and crisp.  Remove from pan, cool, and break into bite sized pieces.  Wipe the pan clean and warm the spinach, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, capers, and cream cheese in the same pan, about 3-4 minutes.  Add the shrimp, cover for 2-3 minutes.  Stir in the cooked orzo, stirring until the orzo is coated with the sauce mixture.

foodblog 029

4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, in an oven-proof skillet or a10x10 casserole dish.

foodblog 031

11 comments:

Pamela said...

Wow! Your revision looks absolutely delicious. I'll be saving this one to try in the very near future! Thanks for another recipe to try.

Not Another Omnivore said...

That turned out beautifully!

NAOmni

Kelsey said...

yuuuuumm!! I'm going to have to try this sans bacon!! I'm excited!!

Joanne said...

That looks and sounds great! Good idea!

Cathy said...

Ooooh! Bacon? Cream cheese? I am so trying it your way one of these days! I loved the original (the little I got to taste, anyway) but your version looks equally delicious. Can't wait to try it!

Sara said...

Wow, that sounds really great. Albeit less healthy, but I am a sucker for pasta and cream sauce. Nicely done!

Aggie said...

Jessica, your version looks awesome!! I will definitely try this next time. Yum!!!

What's for Supper? said...

YUM! I have to try your version. I think that I would like it much better. Great job!

leanne said...

Love the twist on the recipe. Bacon and cream cheese always make a great addition

Jen said...

The changes to the recipe you made sound and look great! I loved this recipe and definitely want to change it up next time around.

Peggy said...

You really did vamp it up with that bacon and additives. That sounds really good and looks beautiful in your photos. Great job!