Wednesday, February 11, 2009

CEiMB: Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Wings

I had the opportunity to choose Sesame-Teriyaki Chicken Thighs as this weeks CEiMB recipe pick. I rarely cook with bone-in chicken, but since my winter CSA was offering chicken wings I decided to push myself outside of my comfort zone. With no previous experience with cooking wings, I thought it would be best for me to give it a test run. I baked a batch of them with hot sauce on Super Bowl Sunday; we loved them and I was hooked! I was thrilled to see that Ellie also had a bone-in baked chicken recipe with an Asian flavor twist.

I baked mine at 425 degrees for 10 minutes longer than the book called; I wanted mine extra crisp and golden. I thought the marinade was a bit subtle, next go around I might add a bit more fresh ginger and garlic and possibly apricot jam. foodblog 015

  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press or minced
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs (I used wings)
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds

Combine the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, vinegar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and stir until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, turning once, for 1 hour. The chicken can be marinated for up to 4 hours.

foodblog 014

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan skin side down and broil until brown and crispy, 20 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil until almost cooked through, about 8 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and cook until the seeds turn golden brown and the chicken is done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.

Recipe from Ellie Krieger

We served the chicken with a large salad: mixed lettuce, grape fruit, granny smith apple, dates, peanuts. and star fruit in a poppy seed dressing.

foodblog 005

13 comments:

Jen (Running with Food) said...

Whoa. Your wings stopped me dead in my tracks. They look fabulous!! Great pick, girl! (I agree - the sauce could have been a bit stronger.)

That salad has my heart!! YUM!

Pamela said...

Thanks for the great pick this week. It was great and I will definitely be using that marinade again and again. Your wings looked fabulous!

Joanne said...

Looks great. We're anxious to try the recipe tonight. Love the idea of star fruit on the salad.

Gabi said...

Great wings and I love your salad too! I may have to try these as wings. Thanks for a good pick.
xo :)

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for a great pick. I am sure it tasted wonderful on the chicken too. Looks delish!

leanne said...

Awesome pick. The marinade was awesome. Will make this again for sure.

Jen said...

Great pick this week! I loved loved the marinade and will definitely be making this recipe again!

joanne said...

Jessica - I had to revisit and just say what a great pick. We loved this recipe. Good job!

Leslie said...

This was a yummy pick, and so easy to make! Your whole dinner sounds great!

MacDuff said...

Your wings look awesome. Whoa. And I am so jealous over your salad - I LOVE star fruit!

Thanks for such a great pick this week!

Peggy said...

Thanks for a great pick this week. Good looking wings too. But my eye is on that salad. Wow.

kamagra said...

Teriyaki Chicken is so delicious, when I go to a restaurant I ask for teriyaki food, did you know that it is a cooking technique used in Japanese cuisine in which foods are broiled or grilled in a sweet soy sauce marinade.?
I think yes you did!! excellent recipe!22dd

najeeba ansar said...

nice and healthy recipe