We LOVE this stuff. I've made this recipe countless times and it's always an appetizer at Christmas. This is a super creamy and rich tasting appetizer and it only takes about 10 minutes to prep with a food processor. Some spinach dips can seem dry once baked, but this one really retained the moisture with the combination of cream cheese and sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (9-ounce) package artichoke hearts, defrosted, rinsed and dried
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, excess liquid squeezed out.
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are light golden but not browned. Remove from heat and cool.
In the bowl of a food processor combine artichoke hearts, spinach, sour cream, mayonnaise, Neufchatel, mozzarella and salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Add cooled onion-garlic mixture to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
Transfer mixture into an 8-inch glass square baking dish or 9-inch glass pie plate which has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with pita wedges or crudites.