Saturday, February 7, 2009

Italian Pot Pies with Cheesy Biscuit Topping

I'm exhausted this afternoon/evening.  The warm temps felt awesome, so I opened the windows, did three loads of laundry, Andy washed the dogs, I washed all eight of their dog beds, vacuumed every nook and cranny of the house, cleaned the two upstairs bathrooms, messed all morning with the non-yogurt, then made compote and crispy garbanzo beans, decided to go ahead and also make more hanky panky (this time on cocktail rye bread), cooked the pot pies, and we even fit in an early evening movie.  Shew!  My cold is getting much better too, I decided I'd rather have fun around the house and enjoy the weather than sit and feel sick all day. 

The original recipe I saw called for a beef, veggie, and tomato mixture...I decided last nights leftover chili would be a great leftover swap out for the Italian Pot Pies and a Cheesy Biscuit would make the perfect crust!  I was right on tonight, the biscuit topping provided the perfect baked crust to dig your spoon into.

foodblog 015

  • 2 medium bowls of leftover chili, slightly reheated
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour,spooned and leveled
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese 
  • 1 tablespoon Smart Balance butter
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  1. Preheat oven to 450*.
  2. Combine mix, milk and cheese with a wooden spoon until soft dough forms.
  3. Beat vigorously 30 seconds.
  4. Divide dough evenly on top of chili bowl.
  5. Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
  6. Combine butter and garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits.

*****************************

Here's the hanky panky made earlier this afternoon.

Cocktail Rye Bread assembly line:

foodblog 010

Topped with the sausage cheese mixture, individually frozen on the cutting boards pictured above, and then placed in a single layer into gallon size freezer bags.

foodblog 011

4 comments:

Amy said...

http://www.newsobserver.com/978/story/1397014.html

I thought of you when I saw this in the paper! I think you should enter :)

Amy said...

I didn't notice the part where you washed all EIGHT dog beds last night? Wow! Do they have beds all over the house or do you rotate them out?

Jessica said...

Yes, our two pups are quite spoiled. They each sleep on two beds stacked on top of one another and then they have 4 other beds scattered throughout the house.

Tami said...

I love the "hanky panky" recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe.