• 1 lb ground beef (93% fat)
• 1 white onion, finely chopped
• 1 large bell pepper, finely chopped
• 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• 12 oz whole wheat penne pasta
• 8 oz light cream cheese
• 1/2 cup package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Brown beef and drain grease. Sweat onion and pepper in beef pan. When they are cooked, return beef to pan. Add tomato sauce, oregano, salt and red pepper flakes and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta and drain.
- Put cream cheese into hot pasta pot and allow to soften with hot pasta.
3. Pour pasta mixture into 8×8 casserole dish.
4. Top with beef mixture and then cheddar cheese.
5. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes at 350*.
Recipe adapted from Kath Eats
We served these on the side….all I have to say is WOW! I ate 8 of these minis straight from the oven. 1 plain, 5 with cherry jelly, 2 with smart balance, and 1 with both! I totally could’ve eaten these alone for supper. I vow to make these little guys more!
Whisk together the flour and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl beat together the eggs, milk and butter. Make a well in the flour and whisk in the wet ingredients gradually until fully combined and smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the batter to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 3 mini nonstick muffin tins. Place the tins in the oven to heat up for at least 10 minutes. Give the batter a quick stir and pour it into each muffin cup filling halfway leaving room for them to rise.