Monday, February 23, 2009

Phyllo Wrapped Burritos

Yesterday, after making the apple cranberry turnovers I noticed my phyllo dough was on it’s last leg (I’d already refrozen it a couple of times).  So this is my way to use it up!  They were fun and great tasting – yet hearty enough to eat with a fork and knife.

foodblog 035

6 sheets phyllo dough, cut in thirds
2 cups leftover red beans and sausage mixture
4 tbs Smart Balance butter, divided

foodblog 029

Melt 2 tbs butter and brush on each phyllo square.  Use 3 - 1/3 sheets of phyllo dough per serving.  Evenly divide cooled mixture onto phyllo sheets, wrap like a pillow or burrito and bake at 350 degrees until phyllo dough is golden brown, about 20 minutes.

foodblog 033

I did the same thing with our leftover mashed potatoes, sort of like a basic healthy Indian samosas!  One could spice up the mashed potatoes with curry, add peas and carrots and be on their way to a baked veggie samosa!  They potato was my favorite and I’ll have to try it with Indian spice next.

foodblog 030

1 comment:

Sakshi said...

Hey Jess,
The phyllo wrapped spicy potato mix is actually street food in India. So you were on the right track with the Indian spice :)

(its called pattice {rhymes with lattice})