Saturday, February 7, 2009

Slow Cooker Homemade Vanilla Yogurt

This recipe didn't work AT ALL for me, I knew it was risky to use skim milk but I really didn't want homemade yogurt if it meant I had to eat the full fat stuff.  This turned out to be a big pain!! 

I've seen both Crock Pot Lady Stephanie and Fun Foods on a Budget Stephanie make this delicious homemade yogurt and thought it looked like a fun experiment!  I love yogurt and I finally knew it was time to pull this recipe to the front of the stack when I found myself with half a gallon of milk getting ready to spoil. 

  • 8 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 cup natural, live/active culture, plain yogurt to use as starter


Plug in crock pot (4 quart or larger) and turn to low. Add an entire half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.


Unplug your crock pot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.


When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt.

  • Add 2 Tbsp dry milk powder, to help it thicken

Then dump the bowl contents back into the crock pot. Stir to combine.


Put the lid back on your crock pot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.

foodblog 010
Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.

  • Whisk in 1 small packet sugar free instant vanilla pudding

foodblog 016
 
Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator, for 1-2 hours.  (Mine wasn't as thick as I wanted so I lined a larger sieve with paper towels and poured the yogurt into it allow some of the liquid to drain out.) The fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

foodblog 021

This didn't work well either...I added more instant pudding and have my fingers crossed that I'll come out with a little something. 

 foodblog 025

My final attempt worked, but what A LOT of hassle to end up with easy instant vanilla pudding at the end?

 foodblog 010

No comments: