I’ve been craving chickpeas, lentils, rice pilafs, couscous, bulgur wheat – really simple and earthy type foods recently. Last week I had lunch with a friend at a Venus Mediterranean Grille and when I read the description for Kusherie I was sold! “Mixed rice, lentils and elbow pasta topped with caramelized onions and sauce (served hot).” I plan on recreating this dish soon!
I had this recipe in a stack to make in a few weeks, but it promptly got moved to this weeks Menu Plan when my cravings became too persistent to deny.
- 3 cups Homemade Spicy Marinara Sauce (or 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes, 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium broth, fresh torn basil)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 12 oz medium pasta,shells, penne or rotini
- grated parmesan
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, season with salt and cook for 5 mins. Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has slightly, 20 minutes. Add basil and cook 5 minutes more.
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss. Serve with parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food Magazine
I served the pasta with a side of roasted green beans tossed with grainy mustard. Thanks Leah for the mustard idea!
Finally, I got my purse in the mail yesterday that I purchased from Etsy!!! I absolutely love it and it looks even nicer in person.