Wednesday, March 18, 2009

CeiMB: Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers

Bachelorette Evening #4: tonight is my last solo night. I’m looking forward to having my wonderful Andy back home tomorrow evening!

This week we were hosted by The Healthy Hostess – be sure to check out her great blog. I added fresh chives, tarragon, and parsley as well as a little Worcestershire sauce and Dijion mustard to the meat mixture. I came out with an absolutely amazing result and loved the salty feta cheese topping! foodblog 004

  • 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
  • 1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup bulghur
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 Tbsp each fresh tarragon, chives and parsley
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
  • 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulghur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

foodblog 008

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

1 Jessica Blog signature

15 comments:

Kelsey said...

I love bulghur in stuffed peppers!!..

simplyfabulousnow said...

I love stuffed peppers! Beautiful photo as well!

applecrumbles said...

Looks great! Worcestershire sauce was also one of my additions. Great minds?! :)

nick said...

Nice presentation on the dish.

Now why did you go and put those flowers in there just to make me look bad for not getting Sara any? I know when she comes along later today and sees your post she is going to call me and say, "Honey, why don't you ever buy me any flowers like that?"

Thanks! :)
Nick

Not Another Omnivore said...

I love that picture with the tulip peeking in!

NAOmni

Sara said...

Great pictures this week! And I don't get enough flowers, I even had to buy them for myself this v-day! He's lucky he can cook :)

Peggy said...

Your peppers look amazing. We loved these. I could eat them again tonight!!!

Aggie said...

Oh your pepper looks delish!! I love all your add ins. I wish I got to cook with all of you this week, but I wasn't prepared!! Will have to make this eventually!

Leslie said...

Good call to add worchestershire and mustard. Love your beautiful photo!

Jen said...

Your stuffed pepper looks great! And what great additions! I wish I would have thought of adding Worcestershire sauce...it makes everything better!

Cathy said...

Oooooh -- sounds like you added some much needed flavor! I found these rather bland, but haven't given up on them -- I am going to try some of your additions next time!

Pamela said...

You know...I thought about adding some worcestershire sauce, but then I didn't. Of course, now I wish I did. I still liked these a lot, though!

farah said...

Yum, it looks delicious! I really liked this too :)

AJM said...

Interesting, you went a little french with the dijon and tarragon! I couldn't help myself and went a little more Italian than Greek, but I think that this is one of those recipes that can take a million different variations. I'll try tarragon and dijon for sure!

leanne said...

The additions sound like it would have been so delicious. Beautiful pictures