Bachelorette Evening #4: tonight is my last solo night. I’m looking forward to having my wonderful Andy back home tomorrow evening!
This week we were hosted by The Healthy Hostess – be sure to check out her great blog. I added fresh chives, tarragon, and parsley as well as a little Worcestershire sauce and Dijion mustard to the meat mixture. I came out with an absolutely amazing result and loved the salty feta cheese topping!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup bulghur
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp each fresh tarragon, chives and parsley
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulghur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.