Tuesday, March 3, 2009

CEiMB: Sesame Stir-Fried Chinese Spinach

This week we were hosted by Joanne at Apple Crumbles. I’m having an abnormal week as we prepare to head out of town for a family gathering in TN.  One of my goals has been to rid the fridge of all perishables before we go.  This dish worked perfectly into my plan…only I had a bag of baby spinach to use up not bok choy.  Since I’m the type of cook that likes to use what I’ve got, I proceeded with the spinach! 

foodblog 008

It took a couple bites for my taste buds to really pick out all the flavors.  I think this was a nice change to our typical spinach side dish of lightened easy creamed spinach and I’d enjoy this version again. 

  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 pounds baby spinach or bok choy
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

In a wok or large frying pan heat the oil over high heat until very hot. Add the baby spinach or bok choy and stir-fry until they begin to soften slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sesame oil and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

1 Jessica Blog signature

7 comments:

Kelsey Miles said...

I am going to make this spinach tomorrow!!

Not Another Omnivore said...

That looks so good...and vegan!

NAOmni

applecrumbles said...

Spinach was a great substitute. So glad it worked out for you. Thanks for cooking along.

Peggy said...

Wow, the spinach looks amazing. I wish I had thought of that!!

Pamela said...

Looks great! Nice to know it works so well with spinach. Have fun at your family get together.

Leslie said...

I bet this was really yummy with the spinach! I also like using up things I have in the fridge, so I may make this again this weekend with asparagus and mushrooms. Enjoy your trip!

Steph said...

hi jessica! i wanted to let you know i posted your roasted vegetable gratin on my site since i finally made it! it was gooood.

also- i added you too my blogroll! =)

www.IamBee-Steph.blogspot.com